Monday, October 21, 2013

DIY Laundry Room Counter



I am really excited about this project because it is something I have wanted to do for a really long time! When we first got our front loaders we had 3 options: Buy the matching pedestals to raise them up, build a pedestal with basket space, build a counter on top for folding, or do nothing.

via
I decided that doing nothing really wasn't an option at all, I would literally never put anything in the pedestal drawers, and if we built a pedestal for baskets, it would just turn into a catch-all for laundry we don't want to put away. Decision made. Having all of that extra counter space for folding would be really useful, socks wouldn't fall between the cracks anymore, and it would be pretty. Sounded good to me!

This was surprisingly a very easy project. Brad went and got us some plywood from Home Depot and after lots of measuring, cut the board to size. We also had to cut a small piece out of the back where the hoses are so that the counter would be flush with the wall. Before we moved on, we made sure it would fit perfectly.

I decided to stain the board instead of painting it. Over the next couple of days, I did one coat of dark stain and followed it up with a couple coats of polyurethane to protect it.



While I worked on that, Brad installed the support boards into the walls to rest the counter on top of. We put these about an inch above the washer & dryer. You DO NOT want to put the counter directly on the washer & dryer because it will rattle! Note: If your counter space is going to be long, then I would suggest having support in the middle or adding legs to your counter (see pic above).



After the urethane dried it was finally time to put the counter on! Our counter fits snug between the 2 walls, so it was secure enough just sitting on top of the boards, but you can nail the counter into the support boards as well if you need a little more peace of mind that it won't shift.

All done! I am loving my new folding space. 


10 comments:

  1. looks great, and definitely the best decision. we have old appliances that came with our house, but they still work. I wish they would break so we could justify getting some new ones, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL! You did a fabulous job!! I have wanted to do this too...soon I hope. Hoping it will help me love my front load washer too. We have a love/hate relationship. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spectacular job! I LOVE IT ALL!!!!! hugs and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the fascinating and exciting things to do with laundry room. I have these cousins who love DIY, and honestly, they got these incredible houses. Thanks for sharing, I openly know what to do with my space. Creative!

    Sebastian Chuter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this laundry room counter! While I have a top load washer and can't make a counter, I do have big plans to make a wooden shelf above the washer and dryer sometime soon.

    I also love the sock basket! such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! The shelf sounds like a great idea for people with top loaders! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, how did you get your dryer to back up so close to the wall? I am having issues with that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! We purchased the washer/dryer from Lowes and it was installed for us by one of their employees, so it has been like that since we moved in. I am not sure if he did anything special to get it closer to the wall and I had not even thought about it. One of their employees may be able to help you out with this question!

      Delete
  7. love your idea. really want to try it out!
    Is it ok to cover up the water lines behind your washer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think there is any issue with covering the lines. The counter also comes right off if you need to access them for any reason!

      Delete